Friday, June 3, 2011

Wren's Nest

A Carolina Wren has made quite a nice nest on an upper shelf in my carport. There are four white eggs speckled with dark pink. I wish I had cleaned the carport before I fractured my shoulder in October, because I feel guilty that they don't have a nicer neighborhood.!

I worry about Norman, my only outside cat, who may become more tempted to make the leap when the babies hatch. All I can do is move everything out of the way that he might use as a stepping stool.

I'm also concerned that the mother doesn't seem to have a mate helping out. She has been away from the nest for long periods of time in search for food and water. Of course, it is brutally hot here, so perhaps the eggs and chicks are doing OK without mom. However, I placed a small dish of water and some bird seed on a nearby window ledge (about 5 1/2 feet off the ground). I hope she finds it and can stay closer to the nest. Stay tuned!

No comments: