Friday, August 22, 2008

The Olympics in Beijing

I don't know how everyone else is feeling about the 29th Summer Olympics, but I've been more engaged than I have been for years. China has been an exceptional host to these games, and the opening ceremony was a stunning event that will never be topped.

I've enjoyed some of the sports that have gotten little camera time, like trampoline, synchronized diving and swimming, and rhythmic gymnastics, in addition to the typical audience favorites. I find myself looking at all of the young people representing the USA in these games, their varied skin colors and heritage, and thinking how amazing it is to live in a country that is so diverse. I've also been so impressed with how affectionate the coaches of all countries have been with their athletes, even when they have not performed as well as they'd hoped.

Anyway, I'm so proud and uplifted by the whole experience. It's just what the world needs right now!

No comments: